Credit Unions vs Banks
Tucson Old Pueblo Credit Union opened its doors in 1935. Established by Tucson Firefighters, Police and City employees. Through the years, TOPCU has expanded services and our field of membership to serve the greater Tucson community.
Today we serve more than 13,000 members with over $140 million in assets. While we remain committed to our founding philosophy of Serving Those Who Serve, we also strive to keep pace with the ever changing technology and services required to remain competitive in the financial services industry to better serve all of our members.
TOPCU is a not-for-profit organization that exist to serve Tucson members. Like banks, we offer direct deposit, debit cards , checking accounts, credit cards, loans, and provide a wide array of other financial services. But as member-owned, TOPCU provides a safe place to save and borrow at lower rates.
The top reasons to choose a Credit Union over a bank
1. Credit union resources are returned to you the member in the form of lower fees.
2. Credit unions are a more personalized way of handling personal finance; you will have a better chance at securing personal and small business loans at your local credit union.
3. Credit unions’ interest rates are lower compared to big bank rates. And, free checking is alive and well. Deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund.
4. Through CO-OP Network, members have the nation’s largest network of credit union ATMs – 28,000 surcharge-free locations (9,000 of which accept deposits)! And credit union service centers provide 4,000 nationwide shared branch locations for consumers.
5. Credit unions have the latest hi-tech personal finance tools, such as banking via mobile devices
6.Customer satisfaction with credit unions has consistently rated higher than for big banks.