If transactions totaling more than your account’s available balance are attempted, the following may occur:
Reg E and ODT
Pays: Everyday one-time debit card transactions, ACH withdrawals, and checks up to your account overdraw limit.
Opt-Out: Reg E
Pays: ACH withdrawals and checks up to your account overdraw limit.
Declines: Everyday one-time debit card transactions
Reg E and ODT
Declines: All transactions.
Click here to download the TOPCU Overdraft Tolerance Op-in/Opt-out Form. You can also contact us at (520) 881-6262, ext. 702 to discuss your options with a Member Services Representative.
Link share accounts or a line of credit (LOC) to your checking account to transfer funds in the event your checking account does not have enough funds to cover a transaction.
- Options 1, 2, or 3 can be used in conjunction
- Automatic transfers will be made from the designated overdraft account(s)
- When no funds are available Options 1, 2, or 3 will go into effect
Everyday Debit Transactions (Gas, Groceries, Coffee, One-time online purchases)
Transactions not affected by Reg E:
Recurring Debit Transactions (Memberships, Subscriptions, Automatic Payments)
Electronic (ACH) Transfers (Utilities, Government Payments)
A fee will be assessed each time TOPCU pays a transaction to cover an overdraft on your account.
Overdraft fees (for transactions paid by TOPCU) are $32 each regardless of dollar amount.
Overdraw tolerance is a discretionary service and is only available to members with qualifying accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an overdraft? How does TOPCU cover overdrafts?
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but it is still processed.
We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
1. We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
2. We also offer overdraft options, such as a link to another account (ie. savings or checking) or a line of credit. These
options may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
TOPCU will authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
– Checks, ACH payments, and other transactions made using your checking account number
– Recurring automatic debit card transactions
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless requested in writing:
– Everyday one-time debit card transactions
– We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of
transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if TOPCU pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
– We will charge you a fee of $32 each time we pay an overdraft.
– There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
When do I need to repay?
Understanding How Transactions Clear
The following transactions are debited from an assigned account in the following manner. However, we may at our discretion, pay a check, draft, or item and execute other transactions on your account in any order we choose. The order in which we process checks, drafts, or items and execute other transactions on your account may affect the total amount of overdraft fees that may
be charged to your account.
All credits will be applied before debit transactions each day:
ACH Transactions — Smallest to largest
Debt and/or ATM Card Transactions — As received from Network
Checks — Dollar amount smallest to largest
Branch Transactions — As completed
Outgoing: May be sent up until 2:00PM, if received after designated time frame the wire will be sent on the following business day
Incoming: May be accepted until 4:00PM
If requests are made after the cutoff time frame, the credit/debit will be completed the following business day
Bill Pay — As completed or scheduled by the Member