Tucson Old Pueblo Credit Union opened its doors in 1935 with 19 members and $30.75 in assets. Established by Tucson firefighters and City employees, TOPCU was originally located at Fire Station #1 in downtown Tucson. Through the years TOPCU has expanded services and its field of membership to become an important part of Tucson’s financial marketplace. Today TOPCU serves more than 13,000 members with over $140 million in assets. While we remain committed to our founding philosophy of Serving Those Who Serve, we also strive to keep pace with the changing technology and services to better serve all of our members.
1935: The beginning
Opened as “Tucson Municipal Employees Federal Credit Union”, established by City Firefighters, and our original founder – John H “Slatz” Freeman. The hours of operation were “when there isn’t a fire.”
1982: Tucson Employees Credit Union
Obtained a state charter and changed the name to “Tucson Employees Credit Union”
Credit Unions from local area merchants Levys, Steinfelds, and Montgomery Wards merged with TOPCU.
1996: Open To All
The credit union by-laws changed to offer financial services to all. The name was changed to “Tucson Old Pueblo Credit Union.”