A Message from Our President/CEO: Your Money is Safe with TOPCU
March 13, 2023
With this weekend’s headlines regarding the FDIC shuttering of a California bank, we realize you may have questions about the money you have deposited in your credit union.
Don’t worry. Your money is safe here. The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund insures your money, and it is protected up to $250,000 per individual depositor. For more information, visit mycreditunion.gov/share-insurance.
Unlike for-profit financial institutions, your credit union is a not-for-profit cooperative owned by you and the other members using our services.
- For more than 88 years, TOPCU has served as a beacon of safety, stability, and service by investing in the financial well-being of members like you while also protecting your trust and funds through the application of strong risk management practices.
- TOPCU is well-capitalized, with more than $15.3 million in equity. This capital, combined with more than $30 million of available liquidity, serves to protect our members while providing TOPCU with the capacity to absorb severe shocks in U.S. or global markets.
- As a result of our member-owned structure, TOPCU maintains attractive share rates. This benefit permits us to maintain a highly diversified funding base that serves to insulate from significant liquidity challenges like those facing Silicon Valley Bank.
- Net Interest Margin is the spread between the average yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings. It serves as an indicator of how well a financial institution is managing in a rising interest rate environment. Higher is better. TOPCU’s Net Interest Margin for the 4th quarter of 2022 was 3.63% and has risen from the 4th quarter of 2021 by .20%. Silicon Valley Bank’s 4th quarter 2022 Net Interest Margin was 1.93% per https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/
- All decisions about the products and services offered are made in your best interests.
- Our cooperative, not-for-profit structure inherently holds us accountable to you and to the other members. We do not have stockholders. We do not engage in risky practices to meet stockholders’ profit demands.
- Our portfolio is diverse and not dependent on a sole industry. Our services are diverse. We are here for Main Street, not Wall Street.
Your credit union is safe and sound. We meet the financial standards Regulators require for a credit union to be considered well-capitalized.
Take comfort in knowing that TOPCU is strong, secure, and growing for you and your family for generations to come. As a community of members/owners united in service to each other, we will continue to build and secure a strong future for America’s most admired credit union.
President and CEO
Tucson Old Pueblo Credit Union